Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This shrimp cocktail is similar to the ones served in Mexico with a thinner sauce. Delicious as a first course or appetizer.
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled, deveined & cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tomatoes, chopped & seeded
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- Bring citrus juices, ketchup & garlic to boil.
- Add shrimp, reduce heat & simmer 2 minutes.
- Drain & chill shrimp, reserving citrus juices.
- Nest the bowl of citrus juices in a large bowl of ice & whisk until cool.
- Stir tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil, 1 teaspoons salt & hot sauce into citrus mixture.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat. Chill at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve: Dip rims of martini or margarita glasses into lime juice & then dip into kosher salt. Spoon 1/4 cup avocado into glass & top with shrimp mixture. Serve with crackers.