Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Diabetic Living Daily Recipe. Unflavored gelatin and buttermilk give this easy sherbet its smooth texture while helping to keep the fat and calories per serving low. The recipe calls for 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin.
- 1 cup sugar (or sugar substitute equivalent to 1 cup sugar)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel or 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- green food coloring (optional) or orange food coloring (optional) or yellow food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and unflavored gelatin. Stir in 2 cups of the orange juice. Cook and stir until sugar and gelatin dissolve. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 2 cups orange juice, the buttermilk, lime peel, and lime juice. (Mixture may appear curdled.) If desired, add food coloring to tint desired color.
- Transfer mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish or freezer container. Cover; freeze for 4 to 5 hours or until almost firm. Break mixture into small chunks; transfer to a large chilled bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth but not melted. Return to dish or container. Cover and freeze about 4 hours more or until firm. (Or, transfer mixture to a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If desired, ripen [see tip, page ?].).