Prep 2 hrs
Cook 22 mins
Tish Boyle; crispy-chewy cookies with citrus filling.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- salt, a pinch
- Make the dough: in a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on med-high speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg yolk and citrus zest.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix just until blended.
- Scrape the dough onto a work surface and gather it up into a disk; wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until firm.
- Cut and bake the cookies: position two racks near the center of the oven; preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the chilled dough on a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle it lightly with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Using a 1 ½ inch scalloped cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible from the dough.
- With a 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies (these will be the tops).
- Stack and press together the scraps and chill for 15 minutes before rerolling.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them ½ inch apart and placing the tops and bottoms on separate sheets (the tops will take a minute or so less to bake than the bottoms).
- Sprinkle the cookies with coarse sugar; bake cookies, two sheets at a time, for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom (not on top).
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Make the filling: in a small saucepan, bring the orange and lemon juices to a boil over high heat; boil for 3-5 minutes, until reduced to about 1 tablespoon; let cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter, powdered sugar, cream, salt, and cooled citrus juices on medium speed until smooth.
- Assemble cookies: Spread about 1 teaspoon of filling onto the bottom of bone of the whole cookies.
- Top with one of the cut-out cookies, right side up, and press the cookies lightly together.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling.
- Serve cookies at room temperature or chilled.