Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Luscious, spritely tasting cooking that's great for the holidays.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- decorator sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened*
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine 1 1/4 cups butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add egg, 2 teaspoons orange peel, lemon peel and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat until well mixed. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle half of cookies with decorator sugar.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Spread heaping teaspoonful filling on bottom of each cookie without sugar. Cover with sugar-topped cookie.
I made these for a cookie exchange last Christmas and they were the talk of the party. They are very rich though, so I would use a smaller cookie cutter than the one I chose (about 2.5 inch diameter). Delicious cookie, definitely a favorite.