Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from Michael Chiarello's Napa's Style it's a perfect seasoning for poultry and vegetables (so far that's what I've tried it on) Let me know if you use it on something different! :)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup gray salt
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients.
- Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 2 hours, or until completely dried.
- Grind in a food processor, and store in a covered container.
What's not to love here? I took artistic license and used your standard sea salt and instead of heating up the house for 2 hours with the oven, I spread the mixture on the bottom of my crockpot, covered it and let it go for 3 hours. Using my coffee-grinder-turned-spice-grinder, I did get a little ambitious and my salt is more powdery than I prefer. But boy hydee, it *smells wonderful* while you're grinding and first remove the lid! To take it for a test drive, I used my tried and true taste-test method - sprinkled it on green apple slices and popcorn. ;-) My next experiment will be to top off corn on the cob and grilled tilapia with this nectar. Thanks for posting your recipe! It's a lot of fun to make and eat.