Recipe by Sharon123
Mmmmm, yummy! The fruits and dressing can be prepared a day ahead; the salad arranged, covered, and refrigerated up to 6 hours in advance; and the dressing added at the last minute. This recipe is Southwestern, but also African, Middle Eastern
For the vinaigrette
- 2⁄3 cup citrus juice, reserved from salad fruit
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- 18 leaves red leaf lettuce, cut in half crosswise
- 3 endives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fennel, sliced in slivers (optional)
- 3 large grapefruits, peeled, sectioned, and seeded, 1/3 cup juice reserved
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned, and seeded, 1/3 cup juice reserved
- 1 large red onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the vinaigrette:.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the citrus juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, cumin, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Arrange the lettuce tips fanned out around the edge of a large platter; place the remaining leaves in the center.
- Arrange the endives and citrus fruits on top and garnish with the red onion and fennel slivers.
- Pour the dressing over all and serve immediately.