Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This fruity salad is ideal for summer time barbecue and complements lamb and grilled fish perfectly.
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented, with all pith removed and reserving any juices
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented, with all pith removed and reserving any juices
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Add the segments and juice of the orange and grapefruit to a bowl.
- Add the fennel to the fruit and mix together and set aside.
- Dry-fry the coriander and cumin seeds to release their aromas and crush to a coarse powder in a pestle and mortar or food processor.
- Mix the crushed seeds into the salad.
I can't believe I forgot to review this recipe. This was so simple to prepare and the flavors were just delicious. The salad was at its best after letting is set a bit so the citrus juices were released and mingled with the crushed herbs. I added some extra citrus (both orange and grapefruit) because I like the way those flavors mix with fennel. Next time I think I will adjust the cumin and corriander so there is just a wee bit less of the former and more of the latter. Thank you for this wonderful addition to my collection of fennel recipes.
What a wonderful salad! I didn't have any grapefruit, so I just used 2 oranges. I'm sure it would have been even better with the bittersweet of the grapefruit, but we liked it fine with just orange, too. The sweet, crispiness of the fennel was a nice contrast to the tart juiciness of the fruit, and the spice blend was perfect.
I made this for a mid-morning snack. I have never had fruits made with cumin, and I must say that the citrus and seasonings did blend together nicely. I love cumin, so I think I would be pressed to find a recipe with it that I don't like. I made it and ate it without even THINKING of taking a picture (yes, both servings :oops:). It was the perfect mid morning pick-me up, that I would love to make again with fish. Thanks! Made for ZWT3.