Recipe by lazyme
From Emeril Lagasse, this is a great duck recipe. The citrus aroma fills the kitchen while it's cooking. The skin is crisp, and the duck is moist and tender.
Top Review by choiceweb0pen0
Also my first attempt cooking a whole duck, I tried this recipe in tandem with a few other article/ recipes. So I too poked holes in the skin for the fat to drain and also scored the top and bottom skin as I read in a Martha Stewart Duck 101 article.
I found this recipe overall excellent and it helped make my first duck delicious, though I would consider reserving some of the rub next time, which is almost a marinade when all the citrus is juiced. I also think the original recipe writer just meant a regular roasting rack, not a vertical roaster. My duck came with giblets and a neck, so I also made a gravy with it.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Zest oranges and lemons and chop zest finely.
- Squeeze juice from oranges and lemons.
- In a small bowl combine zest, juice, pepper and salt.
- Rub duck, inside and out, with all of the citrus-pepper mixture.
- In a roasting pan set duck on a vertical roaster and cook about 2 1/2 hours, or until well-browned and crispy.
- Let rest, loosely covered with foil, 10 minutes before carving.