Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Emeril Lagasse, this is a great duck recipe. The citrus aroma fills the kitchen while it's cooking. The skin is crisp, and the duck is moist and tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Zest oranges and lemons and chop zest finely.
- Squeeze juice from oranges and lemons.
- In a small bowl combine zest, juice, pepper and salt.
- Rub duck, inside and out, with all of the citrus-pepper mixture.
- In a roasting pan set duck on a vertical roaster and cook about 2 1/2 hours, or until well-browned and crispy.
- Let rest, loosely covered with foil, 10 minutes before carving.
Also my first attempt cooking a whole duck, I tried this recipe in tandem with a few other article/ recipes. So I too poked holes in the skin for the fat to drain and also scored the top and bottom skin as I read in a Martha Stewart Duck 101 article.
I found this recipe overall excellent and it helped make my first duck delicious, though I would consider reserving some of the rub next time, which is almost a marinade when all the citrus is juiced. I also think the original recipe writer just meant a regular roasting rack, not a vertical roaster. My duck came with giblets and a neck, so I also made a gravy with it.
This was my first duck attempt also! The flavors of the citrus really flavored the duck. But it did not come out as crispy as I would have liked. My friend who is a butcher also had me poke a few holes in the skin so a lot of the fat would escape. I stuffed the duck with the oranges and lemons that I used the zest for and that really flavored the meat. I never knew how unhealthy duck was! I guess this is a once a year treat! Thanks for sharing.
This is a delicious duck recipe! This was my very first duck I ever attempted to cook. At first I was apprehensive and stated, "I don't know how to cook duck!" My DD told me to check on RecipeZaar and it turned out like I had been doing it for years. I also stuffed the duck with 4 halved clementines. Thanks for rescuing me Lazyme! Made for the Lazyme cook-a-thon honoring her DH!