Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my favorite desserts.
- 10 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Mix egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until well combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Add milk, whipping cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Place 1 (9x13) glass baking dish or 6 (5 inch) fluted glass flan dishes in baking pan.
- Pour mixture into baking dish or fill flan dishes 3/4 full with creme brulee mixture.
- Place in oven and fill baking sheet 3/4 full with hot water.
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove dishes from hot water bath and set aside to cool.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle top of each serving evenly with combined sugars.
- Caramelize with torch.
- If torch is not available, place creme brulee in refrigerator until chilled.
- When ready to serve, place sugar-coated creme in preheated broiler 5 minutes to brown, being careful not to scorch.
- 6 servings.