Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can start this a day ahead to marinate the beets overnight. Grate the rind of the orange before juicing it to make it easy! Adapted from Cooking Light magazine. This recipe actually has it's roots in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia-now there's fusion for ya!
- 1 lb golden beets
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onions (2 large)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
- 1⁄2 cup frsh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Leave the root and 1" of the stem intact on beets. Scrub them with a brush. Place in the center of a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with 1 teaspoons olive oil. Bake at 350*F. for 1 hour or until the beets are tender. Cool completely. Peel and cut each beet into 8 wedges. Combine beets, onion, orange juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add green beans. Cook 3 minutes or until beans are crisp tender. Drain and rinse under cold water, drain. Put beans in a large bowl.
- Drain beet mixture, reserving 2 tbls. marinade. Add beet mixture to green beans, tossing gently. Combine reserved marinade, 1 tbls. lemon juice, 1 tbls. olive oil, grated orange rind, 1/4 teaspoons salt, pepper and minced garlic in a small bowl. Stir with a whisk and pour marinade over beet mixture, tossing gently. Serve and enjoy!
- Makes 6 cups.
I picked up golden beets at the farmers' market specifically to prepare this salad. I added some fresh parsley and bulked up the salad with various greens: spinach, loose leaf, etc. This was our main dish and it was served with Parmesan crisps. I will try fresh mint next time or maybe basil...Orange zest was garnished on top of the salad. Thank you! Made for Veg Tag/May.
WOW! This was a fabulous salad. I went shopping and asked my husband to remove the beets from the over after cooking for an hour as described in step 1. He forgot and removed them after 2 hours. I assumed they would be ruined but they were still firm and yummy. I added a little mint - next time I'll try basil just for fun.