Recipe by mollypaul
A delicious dessert reminiscent of a pavlova. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 9 eggs, separated (room temperature is best)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5⁄8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups orange juice (fresh is best)
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutions)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300F and line two 8" cake pans with waxed paper.
- Add salt to the egg whites and whip until they begin to form soft peaks.
- Add sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly.
- Add vanilla extract before the last addition of powdered sugar.
- Pour meringue into prepared cake pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- When baked, invert meringues onto cooling rack and gently remove waxed paper.
- Beat egg yolks; add granulated sugar, beating well until well blended.
- Add orange rind, orange juice and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cook in a double boiler until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and strain into a very cold bowl; chill.
- Blanch and brown almonds in butter.
- When ready to serve, stir the nuts into the chilled mixture.
- Place one cooled meringue layer on a serving plate and pour custard over the top.
- Top with the remaining meringue layer and garnish with whipped cream.