Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Found this in Southern Living December 2011
Make and share this Citrus Marinated Feta and Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives
- 1 (8 ounce) feta cheese, block cubed
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a medium glass bowl; gently stir in olives and cheese.
- Cover and chill 24 hours.
Made as the salad course of a fancy Italian dinner party, I wanted an olive-based recipe that was unique, would be best made ahead & also lend itself to expansion. This was a great choice & I was esp pleased to make 1 of Papa D's recipes for my guests. Fresh basil can be hard to find here, but the cubed feta was packed in herbs & olive oil, so I was well on my way. I added 1/4 cup orange juice to the olive mixture & loved the citrus flavor infusion the zest & juice created. My expanded version added tomato, red onion & cucumber. Pics of the recipe as written & of my expanded version have been posted. :-)
These were really good! I love the combination of citrus and spices with the cheese and olives. It also took away some of the saltiness that comes with feta cheese, which I like. This is a real keeper.
A great snack with lots of citrus flavor coming through. Made in memory of Papa D.