Recipe by Jane Gib
A zesty lemon rind is delicious with the rich lamb and chickpeas. You can freeze this dish. I found it in an IPC magazine
- 8 ounces dried garbanzo beans (then soak overnight)
- 1 lb lean boneless lamb, cut in chunks
- 1 lemon rind, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the chickpeas and boil in fresh water for 10 minute.
- reduce heat, cover and continue to cook (just boiling) for about 50 min, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the lamb, lemon rind, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and oregano.
- Heat oil in a casserole dish and brown the lamb.
- Add onion and pepper and cook for 10 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in the flour, add salt and pepper and pour in the water.
- Mix in the tomato paste and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in drained chickpea and cook for a further hour.
- Cool and chill for up to 2 days, or freeze.
- To serve, top with toasted crisp French bread croutes.