Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 19 mins
From the NY Times. Prep times includes 'steep' time. Let me assure you, if you don't like Bourbon, but you've never tasted Bourbon combined with citrus, you will reconsider.
- Scrub the fruit and use a zester or sharp knife to scrape slivers of rind from each. Set the fruit aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a quick boil.
- Add zest, turn heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and allow to cool.
- Put mint leaves in a quart jar and use the back of a wooden spoon to bruise them slightly, releasing the fragrance.
- Pour syrup, including the zest, over the leaves, and steep for 1 hour.
- Juice the lime, orange and lemon, and strain into a pitcher. Pour the mint syrup through the strainer as well, using the back of the spoon to press the captured mint leaves and zest to extract remaining juices.
- For each person, fill an 8-ounce glass or julep cup with ice. Pour 3 ounces of bourbon into each, then top off with the mint syrup.
- Serve with short straws and a garnish of mint.