Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Instead of the usual outdoor barbecue, treat your guests to a sit-down dinner featuring this delicious grilled entree with a luscious herb and citrus gravy. Recipe comes from the test kitchen of Light and Tasty Magazine. Could substitute several chicken breasts with skin, but would need to cut back on grilling/cooking time. Recipes states that a serving is 4 ounces cooked turkey with 3 tablespoons gravy equals 192 calories and for diabetic exchanges = 5 very lean meat and 1/2 fruit.
- 1 turkey breast (4 to 5 pounds with bone-in)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley sprig
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Using fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of turkey breast. In a food processor or blender, combine the parsley, basil, butter, garlic and salt; cover and process until smooth. Spread under turkey skin; arrange lemon and orange slices over herb mixture. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place turkey over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and juices run clear. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour pan drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Add the orange juice, orange peel, lemon peel, pepper and pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard the skin, lemon and orange slices from turkey breast. Remove herb mixture from turkey; stir into gravy. Slice turkey and serve with gravy.
- NOTE: Recipes states that it makes 8 servings but with leftovers, so Zaar calculation will be off from what theirs states due to leftovers.
This was a lovely meal. I made it with chicken breasts & reduced the recipe for just the 2 of us, cooking for only 30 mins in the oven. A nice citrus taste that went well with our salad. Made for ZWT5 by a Hell's Kitchen Angel.
We actually had mixed reviews on this recipe. I loved it, my DD who is hard to get to eat anything liked it and ate a good sized portion, and my fiance` who didn't like the "citrus-y" taste. I liked that it was refreshing and moist. I used a smaller boneless turkey breast because there are only 3 in my family. I decided to cook this in my oven today. I preheated my oven to 400*, put it on my broiler pan, and baked it for 2 hours. Also, because I baked it in the oven, the drippings "cooked away." I used one tsp. chicken boullion to make one cup broth. Then I added all the seasonings as needed. It made a nice sauce. Thank you so much for this recipe!!! Made for the Viva Valencia! challenge for ZWT5.
Any citrus lover's absolute dream dish: superbly flavoursome. Just a fabulous blend of flavours and the meat was so moist and delicious. My dinner guests and I absolutely adored this. And since there were only four of us eating this, we scored lots of wonderful turkey meat, which has been used in a number equally wonderful dishes: to make some fabulous sandwiches, added to a rice dish and used in an omelette. And my cat l-o-v-e-d the turkey skin and , of course, a cat-sized portion of the turkey meat. Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous recipe, diner524. I'll certainly be making this again when my fancy turns to turkey. Made for PRMR.