Recipe by cakeinmyface
From vegan cookies take over the world by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope. These have the consistency of shortbread; I had to stop my husband snaffling them all. They went down well with a cup of earl grey tea. I substituted the almond milk for soya milk due to my nut allergy; I also added the juice of half a lemon and reduced the sugar by a tablespoon according to my taste
- 4 tablespoons demerara sugar (or any other coarse sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (non- hydrogenated softened like trex)
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk (or soya milk)
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemons (zest finely grated any citrus zest will do)
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (fine ground)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (corn flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Spoon Demerara sugar onto a plate and put to one side.
- Use a hand mixer to cream the shortening and sugar until fluffy mix in almond milk and citrus zest, juice and vanilla.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed until a pliable dough forms it will look crumbly but will come together easily in your hands.
- Roll heaped tablespoons pf dough into balls. Press each ball into the Demerara sugar to flatten it, coating one side only. Place the cookies sugar side up on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden at the edges.