1/3 Photos of Citrus Glazed Pork Belly
4 hrs 45 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Pork belly is a very economical cut and this recipe from Emeril makes the meat so tender it falls off your fork. It can be quite fatty as well but if you're watching your weight then go straight for the meat and leave the layer of fat on top -- tasty though it is! The broth leftover in the roasting pan is great the next day for soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pork
- 4 lbs pork belly, cut into portions about 4 1/2 by 3-inches each
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the roasting liquid
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
For the glaze
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1Adjust oven setting to broil.
- 2Using a sharp knife, score the fat side of the pork belly, diagonally, and season with salt and pepper on all sides, rubbing the salt and pepper into the scored parts of the flesh.
- 3Place the onion, carrots, and celery in the bottom of a large roasting pan and put the pork belly, scored side up, on top of the vegetables.
- 4Broil until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn the pork flesh side up and continue broiling for 5 more minutes.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- 6Turn the pork back to the scored side up and add the chicken stock, 2 cups of the juice, light brown sugar, thyme, cloves, and allspice to the roasting pan.
- 7Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours. After 2 hours, then loosen the foil to make a little steam vent and bake for another 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- 8While the pork is braising, prepare the glaze.
- 9Start by using a fine wire-meshed sieve to strain any pulp out of the remaining 2 cups juice.
- 10Combine the juice and 3/4 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook until the glaze is thick and syrupy, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 11Remove the pan from the oven and let the pork cool slightly in the braising liquid.
- 12Adjust oven setting to broil.
- 13Remove the pieces of pork belly from the braising liquid and pat dry. Using a pastry brush, baste the pork belly on all sides with the glaze.
- 14Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crispy around the edges and golden brown.
- 15Drizzle pork belly generously with any remaining glaze and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus Glazed Pork Belly
Serving Size: 1 (889 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2043.7
- Calories from Fat 1736
- Total Fat 192.9 g
- Saturated Fat 70.2 g
- Cholesterol 261.7 mg
- Sodium 117.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 34.6 g