Recipe by de_annaj
Light spongy citrus cake can use a variety of oils. Recipe calls for lemon oil, however orange and lime have also been used.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour pan.
- Sift together flour, baking poweder and salt.
- beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy 3 to 5 mintues.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon oil and continue to beat.
- Add the eggs and yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the speed to low and fold in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour, until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Make glaze by combining all ingredients until sugar dissolves.
- Set rack over a sheet of waxed paper, invert the pan onto the rack and lift off the pan.
- Brush the warm cake with the glaze.
- Let cool completely before serving.