Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- In a large bowl, beat together shortening, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until light and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Add egg, honey, and wine; continue beating until well blended.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to creamed mixture.
- Add all peels and mix until well blended.
- Shape dough into a roll about 2-inches in diameter.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or at least for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice dough into 1/8-inch thick rounds.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake until light brown (8 minutes).
- Cool on cookie sheets for 4 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.