Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you don't have self rising flour, use plain and add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and if calories are not an issue, use some more butter or margarine for frying, it makes it even nicer and more like cake. Serve with honey or syrup.
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 grated lemons, zest of or 1⁄2 grated limes, zest of or 1⁄2 grated orange, zest of, more if you like
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small egg
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 slices at least one day old bread, cut diagonally
- In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and zest.
- Add the milk and mix until you have a smooth and lump free batter.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mix, now add the melted butter and mix again.
- Heat a non-stick frying.
- Dip and coat the bread in the batter, fry until light golden.
This french toast is AWESOME...I made it for easter breakfast :-) I was a little skeptical about adding the citrus.. (I used a mixture of lemon and orange!!!), but it was spectacular... thanks so much for this recipe!! I will make it for special occasions!! use the extra butter for frying.. its worth it!!!! lol
What a great recipe! I used grated lemon peel for the citrus option, and I thought it was really good. I will definitely make this again, but I'll probably experiment with grated orange peel next time, to see how it compares to the lemon peel. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Pets'R'us.
Excellent! Made exactly as stated and my husband loved it .. next time I will omit the butter and just use a little for frying .. thanks!