Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Micheal Chiarello's recipe from Mostly Vegetables by Susan Costner
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the fruit. Seeds, skins and all. Do not process into puree if using food processor or blender. Do not make with too finely chopped fruit. It won't work.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add oil. Run electic mixer for 10 minutes with paddle attachment. Let stand for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Rinse 4 layers of cheese cloth in cold water. Squeeze dry. Suspend fine meshed strainer over a fat separator or bowl. put mix in cheese cloth and squeeze to extract oil. Strainer will catch pulp that may escape. Let stand and let oil and juice to separate. The clear oil will float above the thickened mixture.
- Pour the oil off into a sterilized glass jar or bottle. Discard the juice. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Use within a week.
- IF the fruit has a thick skin the pith may add bitterness. Ot avoid peel the zest with a vegetable peeler and put in food processor. Chop finely. Cut off pith and do not cut pulp. You want as much juice and pulp as possible. Process fruit with zest. Then put in mixer as directed.