Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cuisine at Home.
Make and share this Citrus-Fennel Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup orange, peeled and sliced into rounds (2 oranges)
- 1 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olive, pitted and slivered
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
Combine for Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted and crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Gently Toss with
- 4 cups arugula, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- To peel oranges, cut off top and bottom, just to the pulp.
- Cut away peel and pith, following curve of the fruit.
- Cut orange into thin rounds.
- Thinly slice the fennel using a knife or a mandoline.
- Trim the stems and roots from radishes, and thinly slice.
- Set aside.
- Use an olive pitter to pit olives, or crush them with the side of a chefs knife and remove the pit.
- Slice olives into very small slivers.
- Toast fennel seeds.
- Then, with mortar and pestle, crush seeds until fragrant.
- Whisk them into remaining vinaigrette ingredients.
- In a large bowl, toss the fennel, radishes, and vinaigrette with arugula.
- Use your hands its gentler on the greens and coats them evenly.
- To assemble the salad, first lay down 34 orange rounds.
- Mound some salad mixture on top.
- Garnish with olives and shaved Parmesan.
What a delicious salad! The peppery arugula goes beautifully with the refreshing vinaigrette. I used fresh mandarin oranges and fresh-squeezed juice. This salad would be perfect for a dinner party.
Scrumptious! I made this on NYE for a dinner party and it was a HUGE success. I did not add the radishes, and also used some fresh and 1 can of mandarine oranges to the salad.
Forgot the parmesan and it was still wonderful. The vinaigrette was light and not overpowering. The oranges we happened to pick up were really sweet. Used apple cider vinegar instead of white wine and that was fine. Didn't have time to toast the fennel seeds. Made it for some friends needing a pick-me-up and this really helped.