I haven't made these yet but it looks so good. It's one of Emeril's many wonderful recipes. It's a bit involved, since it will take a couple of days, but it looks worth it. Inactive prep time is 50 hours. Please note: The salmon is not wanting to display properly in the ingredients. The proper amount needed is 1 Salmon Fillet weighing between 3 to 3.5 pounds. This was posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs salmon fillets
- 1 medium orange, cut into eighths
- 1 lemon, cut into eighths
- 1 lime, cut into eighths
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- fresh dill sprig, for garnish (optional)
Lemon-Caper Cream Cheese Spread
- 10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 ounces sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped drained capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1CITRUS-CURED GRAVLAX.
- 2First, make sure all skin and pin bones are removed from your filet, rinse it under cool water, and pat dry. Set aside.
- 3In the bowl of a food processor, combine the fruit, salt, sugar, and pepper and process to a paste.
- 4Center a 2 by 3-foot piece of cheesecloth in a non-reactive baking dish or plastic container large enough to hold the fish flat, about 9 by 13 inches. Pack half of the citrus-salt mixture onto the skin-side of the fish, spreading out to the edges, and top with half of the herbs. Place the fish skin-side down in the middle of the cheesecloth and spread the remaining salt mixture and herbs over the flesh. Fold the cheesecloth in over the fish and carefully roll and turn the fish over into the cheesecloth to completely enclose.
- 5Top with a second large non-reactive baking dish. Place weights or large heavy cans on the second dish to weight and press the fish. Let cure in the refrigerator for 48 hours, turning once.
- 6Remove the weights and top baking dish and place the fish on the work surface. Discard the wrap and scrape the remaining salt and herb mixtures from the fish. Rinse the fish under cold running water for 1 minute to remove any remaining mixture and gently wipe dry with paper towels.
- 7Wrap in plastic wrap, place on a platter, and freeze until firm enough to slice easily, 30 to 45 minutes. (Alternatively, refrigerate until ready to slice).
- 8LEMON-CAPER CREAM CHEESE SPREAD.
- 9Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and cream together using a rubber spatula or heavy wooden spoon. Spoon into a decorative bowl and serve immediately. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
- 10CHIVE BLINIS.
- 11Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup of the warm milk and add 1 teaspoon of the all-purpose flour. Place the mixture in a warm place until it rises and doubles in size, about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the warmed milk. Sift in the remaining all-purpose flour and the buckwheat flour. Add the sugar, 3 of the egg whites, the butter and the chives. Beat until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Stir the mixture lightly and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- 12Whisk the remaining egg whites until frothy and add to the mixture. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray (or lightly brush with butter). Drop tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles form and blinis are golden brown on the bottom, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn blinis and cook until golden brown on the second side, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Yield: about 5 1/2 dozen (2-inch) blinis.
- 13Tip: Blinis may be made in advance and frozen, wrapped well in plastic wrap and placed inside a resealable food storage bag.
- 14Remove the fish from the freezer and slice the salmon as thinly as possible at a slight angle. Arrange the slices decoratively on the platter and serve with the Lemon-Caper Cream Cheese Spread and the Chive Blinis.
- 15Alternatively, blinis may be spread with the Lemon-Caper Cream Cheese Spread and then topped with a small piece of gravlax and passed or plated as hors d'oeuvres. Garnish with fresh dill or chives before serving.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus-Cured Gravlax With Lemon-Caper Cream Cheese Spread &
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 98.0 mg
- Sodium 19132.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 30.5 g