Recipe by YummySmellsca
Adapted heavily from the filling in Fifi O'Neill's "Lemon Sour Cream Pie", this curd is rich but tangy thanks to Greek yogurt and citrus juices. It reminds me of key lime pie filling, and a crispy meringue "hat" makes for a great contrast without need for a crust. The caps can be made a week ahead of time and kept away from heat and moisture up to 1 week. If you do not have tapioca starch, substitute 5 tbsp cornstarch. Coconut Dream info here: http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/5218/772.php
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 3 drops lemon extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 limes, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk, hot (like Coconut Dream, not canned coconut milk)
- 3⁄4 cup water, hot
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup greek style plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 225F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Beat the meringue powder and water together in a small, deep bowl for 1 minute, then spoon in the sugar and salt and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in the extracts.
- Scrape into a piping bag (or zip-top bag with the corner snipped) and pipe spiral discs on the parchment.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and allow to cool 2 hours inside.
- Combine the sugar, zests and starch in a saucepan and whisk in the eggs. Place over medium heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, then whisk in the juice.
- Slowly whisk in the hot Coconut Dream and hot water.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes, until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Let bubble, whisking often, for one minute longer.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth, then add the Greek yogurt and coconut extract and whisk in until well combined.
- Spoon into individual serving cups or ramekins, lightly press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of each to prevent a skin forming, and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Remove the cups from the fridge and place a meringue cap onto the surface of each curd.
- Serve within 30 minutes of assembly, but this is best eaten immediately.