Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A nice cookie for Spring! Makes 6 dozen cookies. Store airtight up to 1 week.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- colored sanding sugar, for decorating
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg, zest, and flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic- Freeze until firm, 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Unwrap 1 half on a lightly floured surface- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out circles with a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Roll out scraps; cut out circles- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Lightly press 1 end of a clean 1 1/2-inch spool onto surface of each cookie.
- Refrigerate dough on sheets 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle sanding sugar into imprint on cookies; brush off excess.
- Bake until golden, about 14 minutes- Cool on sheets on wire racks.