Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Do you like chocolate and orange together? Try this!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract or 2 -3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and salt; blend in water.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture boils.
- Boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Add milk; stir and heat to serving temperature. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and orange extracts.
- Beat with rotary beater or wire whisk until foamy.
- Serve hot.
Orange and chocolate were meant for each other, IMHO :) This is a great way to get them together. I subbed Splenda for the sugar and used cooking grade orange oil (I think it is a bit stronger than extract). Delicious! Made for Winter 2010 Comfort Cafe game.
This was a comforting drink, but I think next time I would increase both the cocoa and orange liqueur by 50 to 100 percent. On the other hand, it may have been softly flavored because I don't think my cocoa is dutched. It whipped up beautifully.
I made this using skim milk and Cointreau for the orange liqueur. Cocoa is about the only form of chocolate I actually enjoy and I enjoyed this. The orange liqueur was a nice accent without overpowering the drink.