Very soft decadent, yet low-fat cupcakes. These do not contain egg and can easily be made vegan. Un-iced, they are still extremely good cake-like muffins. NOTE: these cupcakes had a VERY mild citrus flavour. I have since added orange zest to the recipe for a more prevalent citrusy flavour.
- In a medium bowl combine flours, sugar, cocoa and baking soda.
- In a large bowl combine juice, water, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and orange extract (if desired) and orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to the juice mixture; stir until just moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray 12 medium muffin cups or use paper liners.
- Fill cups half full with batter.
- Bake at 375F 13-16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
A nice low fat muffin (type cupcake). I used all fresh squeezed orange juice (instead of water) and just added a tbsp. or so of water because the batter was really thick. I have old small muffin tins and this made just barely 12 muffins. We enjoyed these and I have frozen half of them for luncbox treats. Thanks for posting!
Great! I'll sure make them again. Had to add some extra water though.
These were great! Chocolate-tasting, chewy and yet soft. I used the juice of one large orange and also the zest of it. So pleased I have found this. Thanks for sharing.