Recipe by Elly in Canada
I love candied mixed peel and these will make a wonderful Christmas biscotti, great for gifts too. I haven't tried these yet, posted for future use, if you bake them, please review. Source - Homemakers Magazine: 2007
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup candied peel
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole unblanched almond
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Toss peel with 1 tbsp/15 mL of the flour; stir into batter with almonds and chocolate.
- Whisk together the remaining flour and baking powder; stir into batter until soft, sticky dough forms.
- On lightly floured work surface, work dough into smooth ball.
- Divide in half; roll each into 12-inch/30 cm long log.
- Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush tops with egg white. Bake in 350°F/180°C oven until tops are dry and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board; with chef's knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch/2 cm slices, wiping blade after each cut.
- Stand slices upright on baking sheet; bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on rack.
- (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.).