Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
One of my family's favorite cakes.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated, plus
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- Make a wide well in center. Add oil, then egg yolks, orange and lemon peels and juice. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in large mixer and beat to stiff peaks. Gradually pour in yolk mixture in thin, steady stream; fold in gently.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted halfway between tube and side of pan comes out clean and cake springs back when touched gently. Immediately invert pan onto a funnel or bottle; let stand until completely cool.
- To loosen, run metal spatula or knife around side and tube. Invert onto serving plate and remove pan. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.