Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that I found on another site and tweaked to suit my family's tastes. Even though I've made some changes to the recipe, I would like to give credit to allie0206 for posting the original recipe.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in strips
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 8 orange slices
- orange zest (to garnish) (optional)
- Sprinkle the chicken breast strips with salt, pepper and orange zest.
- Cook the chicken in a nonstick skillet until browned.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Pour the broth and orange juice into the skillet.
- Add the onion and rice.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Cover and cook 10 more minutes or until rice is done.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Serve the chicken strips over rice.
- Garnish each serving with two orange slices and orange zest if desired.
We prefer brown rice over the long-grain white rice--so I made several adjustments. I cooked the brown rice first in the chicken broth with the onion. When the rice was almost done, I browned the chicken strips in a non-stick pan lightly coated with olive oil. After the chicken was done, I added the orange juice and zest to the skillet along with 2 tsp cornstarch. It made a nice glaze to serve over the chicken and rice. Thanks for the idea. We certainly enjoyed it.