Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Found this at www.allrecipes.com when I was in desperate pursuit of a good carrot cake recipe. I found the icing recipe elsewhere online. When this was finished and iced, I made some plain powdered sugar icing and colored it orange and green to make--you guessed it!--little carrots on top of the cake! It was beautiful and wonderful with the added citrus flavors! I froze half of this cake and it seemed to work just fine. It's also VERY cheap to make!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 orange, zest of
- walnuts (optional)
- CAKE INSTRUCTIONS: Stir together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, and then the citrus peels and juices.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Beat the flour mixture into the carrot mixture.
- Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 90 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS: Beat cream cheese, adding butter, orange rind, and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar in thirds, beating.
- Frost cake, top with nuts.
fantastic highly recommend this
OMG this is the best cake I've made in years!! It's just so yummy! I made it in two smaller cake tins and it turned out fine, I took them out 15mins earlier though. The frosting is heavenly!