Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great treat if you need something to mail for the holidays. The citrus is great at cutting the sweetness.
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Generously grease 151/2x101/2x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Beat egg white in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add almonds and pecans; stir until coated.
- Stir in powdered sugar, lemon juice, orange peel, lemon peel and nutmeg.
- Turn out onto prepared pan, spreading nuts in single layer.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes.
- Turn off oven.
- Let nuts stand in oven 15 minutes more.
- Immediately remove nuts from pan to sheet of foil.
- Cool completely.
- Store up to 2 weeks in air tight container.
I made three different kinds of nuts for Christmas. I made these with pecan halves and I really liked the flavor. My only minor complaint is that the nuts turn a little white rather than glossy. Will make again.
I think that I would take the egg whites and mix in lemon juice and whisk to combine,but not enough to make them white, just foamy. Then toss them with the nuts and the rest of the mixture, coating them really well. I'd also maybe include a little cinnamon, and perhaps to kick it up a little, some cayenne or red pepper flakes, only if you like a little heat. My local specialty store does this with their Bourbon Pecans, but they use brown sugar to coat the nuts for sweetness instead of powdered, which really gives them excellent flavor. Just a variation to think about. Otherwise, an excellent recipe.