Recipe by Luschka
Delicious for summer and barbecues.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is probably one of the better spinach salads I have had. Most are too sweet for us and this has such a nice balance of flavors. The dressing also works with other salads and there is just enough to enhance the vegetables and fruits. Thanks for an inventive and interesting recipe.
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 large orange
- 225 g baby spinach leaves
- 250 g cantaloupes, flesh cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 spring onions, white parts only, very thinly sliced
- 55 g thinly sliced parma ham, cut in to shreds
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing, put the vinegar, oil, cream and honey in a small screw-top jar. Cover and shake until well blended. Set aside.
- Working over a bowl to catch the juice, peel the grapefruit, removing all the bitter white pith, then cut it into segments between the membranes. If large, cut the segments into bite-sizes pieces. Set the grapefruit segments aside on a plate.
- Using a citrus zester, take fine shreds of zest from the orange and set aside. Working over the bowl containing the grapefruit juice, peel the orange, removing all the pith, then cut it into segments between the membranes and cut the segments into bite-sized pieces, if liked. Add to the grapefruit segments and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of the combined grapefruit and orange juices to the dressing, and shake again to blend.
- Taste and add more citrus juice, if liked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the spinach in a large serving bowl. Add the orange and grapefruit segments, the melon and spring onions and toss together. Shake the dressing once more, then pour it over the salad and toss. Scatter the Parma ham and orange zest over the top and serve at once.