Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great balance of flavors: salty, sour, sweet, and herbs.... without overpowering the delicate flavor of the halibut. It also looks great! I use cold-smoked(lox) style sockeye (great color), but any cold-smoked salmon will do...
- 4 (1133.98 g) halibut (no bones)
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 whole lime
- 1 whole orange
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 85.04 g presliced smoked salmon, sliced into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, room temperature.
- 14.79 ml cilantro leaf, chopped
- 14.79 ml maple syrup (or honey if not available)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Using a fine grater, grate the lime, lemon, and 1/2 the orange, being careful not to grate any white rind (it's really bitter).
- Heat butter in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add citrus peel, garlic, and sweat for 1 minute.
- Add maple syrup, cook for another minute.
- Add juices of lime& lemon, and allow to cool in refrigerator for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Arrange halibut portions on parchment paper, or on oiled aluminum foil.
- Spread citrus mixture over top of each portion, then cover with evenly spaced smoked salmon'stripes'.
- Top sparingly with cilantro, cover, and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness of fish (15 minutes per inch thickness), or until flakes easily with fork.
- Note, I like to roast salted& oiled zucchini quarters with the fish (it takes about the same amount of time), and serve with boiled new potatoes& steamed green beans.