Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Food & Wine 2005
- 3 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 4 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Finely grate the zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange. Quarter the zested lemon and orange.
- Set the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the citrus zests with 1 tablespoon of the ginger.
- Generously season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and all of the zest mixture.
- Stuff as many lemon and orange quarters inside the chicken as will fit.
- Juice the remaining 2 lemons and 1 orange. In a small bowl, mix the citrus juice with the remaining 2 tablespoons of ginger, the olive oil and the honey.
- Brush the chicken with the juice mixture and roast, basting with the juice every 20 minutes, for 1 1/4 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°.
- If the skin browns too quickly, cover the chicken with foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes. Pour the pan juices into a glass measuring cup and skim off the fat.
- Remove the chicken skin and discard, carve the meat and transfer to plates. Serve with the pan juices.