Recipe by Mirj
The orange and cumin flavors give this chicken a real Mediterranean feel. Try to find fresh oregano, it just doesn't work with the powdery dry stuff. If you can't get oregano sprigs, go for thyme or tarragon, but always use fresh.
- 2 oranges, washed and cut into eighths
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chicken stock (more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the zest from 2 orange wedges and 2 lime wedges and set aside.
- Rub chicken with juice of those wedges.
- Season the entire chicken, including the cavity, with the cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Inside the cavity, place the used orange and lime wedges, plus 3 orange wedges, 3 lime wedges, 2 cloves of garlic and 3 sprigs of oregano.
- Place a small roasting pan over high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil smokes, place the chicken, breast-side down in the pan.
- Sear, rolling slightly for even browning, until the breast is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, slip a flat rack on bottom of pan, then place the chicken on the rack, breast-side up.
- Add the stock, remaining garlic cloves and a couple more sprigs of oregano to the pan.
- Squeeze the juice of the 7 orange wedges and remaining lime wedges into the pan, adding the juiced wedges to the pan as well.
- Roast until the chicken juices run clear when the leg is pieced near the joint, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Check the moisture in the pan a few times while cooking, adding chicken broth if the pan juices are drying up.
- Transfer chicken to a warm platter, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Remove the fruit wedges, oregano and garlic from the pan, then place the pan juices in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, taste and adjust seasoning, adding more orange juice from the remaining wedges if desired.
- Remove from heat and add the reserved zest. Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce.