Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
My youngest daughter does not like ANYTHING that even resembles an onion so I adapted one of the million hash brown casserole recipes to suit her tastes. She wants this at every holiday meal and it is so easy and delicious I don't mind making it for her! You can also divide this between two 9 X 9 pans and freeze one for later. Make sure and either thaw before baking or increase baking time. Also - you can use cream of potato soup instead of chicken if you don't want chicken.
- 1 (32 ounce) package southern style hash browns (the cubed kind)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon into a well greased 11 x 13 pan.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours (depending on how cold the dish is to start).
- Remove from oven, remove foil and serve.
This was good -- very rich!! Used low fat cream soup and lite sour cream, still very rich and very good. Next time will remove foil last 10 minutes to brown the cheese on top just a little.
It doesn't get any easier than this to make a great cheesy potato dish. This is the perfect answer for pot luck dinners or any time you want to impress your guests. I assembled it earlier in the day and then popped it in the oven before dinner. It took a bit longer than an hour to cook since it had been in the refrigerator (about 1 1/2 hrs). Thanks for sharing this, SoozieQ.