Recipe by Chef Kate
The name in Italian is so pretty--Gelato al Cioccolato con Salsa all'Arancia Amara Ristorante Hotel Cipriani. The dense chocolate gelato's richness combined with the wonderful orange sauce and the fresh raspberries served with the gelato---make the effort this recipe requires well worth it. Prep time does not include freezing time.
Top Review by Underground Ernie
Absolutely fabulous dark chocolate icecream recipe. The caramel brings out the flavour of the dark chocolate. I've made it several times and it always works well. I haven't tried the orange sauce mix with it yet.
For the Gelato
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 1⁄2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten lightly
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons navel orange zest, julienned
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup bitter orange preserves (or orange marmalade)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cointreau liqueur
For garnish (optional)
- fresh raspberry
- mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Gelato:.
- In a dry 3 quart saucepan, cook 1/4 cup of sugar, undisturbed, over moderate heat until it begins to melt.
- Continue to cook, stirring with a fork, until sugar is completely melted and becomes deep golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and dip pan briefly into an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Cool pan about 5 minutes, then return to moderate heat, add milk and whisk until caramel is melted and milk is incorporated.
- Whisk in cocoa and keep whisking till mixture is well combined.
- Keep warm while you prepare chocolate and custard base.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over barely simmering water.
- In a bowl, beat (using electric mixer) the eggs and the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Whisk the caramel mixture and the chocolate into the yolk mixture, pouring them in in streams and whisking all the while.
- Now, cook this mixture (your gelato) in s heavy saucepan over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer registers 140°F.
- Cook (do not boil) 4 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, cool completely and then freeze in your ice cream maker according to its directions.
- For the sauce:.
- In a dry 1 quart saucepan, cook the 2 tablespoons of sugar undisturbed over medium heat until it begins to melt.
- Continue to cook, stirring with a fork until the sugar melts completely and turns golden.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While caramel is cooling, blanch the julienned orange zest in boiling water for 15 seconds then drain.
- Return caramel to medium heat and add orange juice and zest, whisking until caramel is completely melted.
- Whisk in the preserves or marmalade until combined well.
- Remove from heat and stir in liqueur.
- Pool sauce on individual plates and place scoops of the gelato on the sauce.
- Garnish, if desired, with raspberries and mint sprigs.