Recipe by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
We got a bunch of cippoillini onions from our crop share this year and couldn't figure out what to do with them. I came across this recipe for a rustic tart and was thrilled. Not only did it use all of the cippollini onions but it was super delicious and very pretty. The onions melt in your mouth and the tart has an amazing savory flavor. I would definatly serve this at a dinner party. I think this would work nicely as single serving mini tarts as well.
For the dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cipollini onions, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup cabernet sauvignon wine, sauvingon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse. Add the water a little at a time and pulse until the dough just begins to come together in a rough mass.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll into a 13-inch disk, about 1/4″ thick. Fold over the edges of the dough, about 1″ around, and crimp to seal. Transfer to baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the filling: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add salt and combine, then add onions. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring frquently, until carmelized on all sides.
- Add the wine and reduce until syrupy, about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the refrigerated dough on top of the onions. Prick the surface to let air escape.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place a serving platter upside down on top of the pan and turn both upside down together. Lift off the pan, leaving the onion tart on the serving dish. Serve immediately!