I found this recipe for my Italian FIL. He said he'd never heard of them but his mother DID make "jubilee onions." I figure if calamari = galama, sopressata - soopesage, cavatelli = gavadeel, then cipollini = jubilee. This is a very simple, straightforward recipe as are many Italian recipes.
- Heat the butter in a pan large enough to hold the onions.
- Cook the onions in the butter for a few minutes while stirring.
- Sprinkle on the sugar, the vinegar and enough water to barely cover the onions and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the liquid is completely gone, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes, watching carefully to avoid scorching. (The onions will become glazed & caramelized).
- Sprinkle with lemon juice & serve.