Recipe by stephanie
Its a kind of a big meat pie that is a traditionnal meal here in Quebec...... hope you will like it...
- 1 boneless chicken, cubed
- 2 lbs cubed stewing pork
- 2 lbs cubed stewing beef
- 1 lb cubed stewing veal
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- stew spice mix
- 1 piece salted pork fat, coarsley chopped
- 8 potatoes, diced
- 1 pie dough, rolled and cut into small squares
PIE DOUGH RECIPE
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix chicken, pork, beef and veal togheter.
- Add onion and season to taste, then set aside.
- In a deep oven-baking dish, place salted pork fat.
- Cover with several layers of following ingredients: potatoes, meat preparation, small dough squares.
- End with a dough layer.
- Cover completely with water and add a pie shell made with remaining dough.
- Cover the baking dish.
- Cook in oven until dough begins to absorb a little fat.
- Uncover the baking dish and cook for another hour.
- Cover again, reduce to 300F and cook for about 6 hours.
- PIE DOUGH RECIPE------------.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and water.
- In another bowl, mix all purpose flour with vegetable shortening, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir liquid in with two knifes, until dough gather into ball.
- Cover and chill dough for an hour.