Prep 1 hr
Cook 32 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day'
Make and share this Cioppino II recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups fish stock
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup thick tomato puree
- fresh ground black pepper
- 18 clams, scrubbed
- 1 crab or 1 lobster, cooked, cracked, and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 18 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 18 sea scallops, tough muscles removed
- 18 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a large heavy pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes and saute until the celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, wine, and tomato puree and simmer for about 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the clams, discarding any that do not close to the touch.
- Add the crab, cover, and simmer briskly until the clams start to open, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, scallops, and mussels, discarding any that do not close to the touch, and continue to cook until the shrimp turn pink, the scallops are opaque throughout, and the mussels open, 3-5 minutes.
- Discard any unopened clams or mussels.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve, sprinkled with the parsley.