1 hr 32 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups fish stock
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup thick tomato puree
- fresh ground black pepper
- 18 clams, scrubbed
- 1 crab or 1 lobster, cooked, cracked, and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 18 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 18 sea scallops, tough muscles removed
- 18 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1In a large heavy pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- 3Add the celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes and saute until the celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the broth, tomatoes, wine, and tomato puree and simmer for about 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Add the clams, discarding any that do not close to the touch.
- 7Add the crab, cover, and simmer briskly until the clams start to open, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add the shrimp, scallops, and mussels, discarding any that do not close to the touch, and continue to cook until the shrimp turn pink, the scallops are opaque throughout, and the mussels open, 3-5 minutes.
- 9Discard any unopened clams or mussels.
- 10Season with salt and pepper and serve, sprinkled with the parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioppino II
Serving Size: 1 (678 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.1
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 77.9 mg
- Sodium 1105.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs