Chia Chef's Note:
This recipe comes from my maternal Calabrese grandmother. It was traditionally served on Christmas eve and contains only shellfish. Some cioppino recipes include calamari (squid), mussels, and/or chunks of solid bodied fish that holds together during cooking. The two essential ingredients are Dungeness crab and garlic. Note: Live Dungeness crabs are preferred for this dish. If they are not available in your area, cooked and cracked crab may be substituted. If they are, add them after the prawns. You only want to re-heat the crab, not overcook it. Tip: Supply each guest with ample napkins, a bib, and a nutcracker and pick to get at all of the sweet Dungeness crab.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 onions, medium chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (4 ounce) cans tomato sauce or 2 (4 ounce) cans puree
- red wine (Chianti, Burgundy, Merlot)
- Italian spices
- olive oil
- 1Sauce Base:.
- 2Chop or mince onions and garlic. Saute' in olive oil until translucent.
- 3Add diced tomatoes and 2 14oz cans water.
- 4Add tomato sauce or puree plus two 4oz cans water.
- 5Add 1 14oz can red wine.
- 6Add Italian seasoning to taste.
- 7Adj1ust amount of sauce depending on quantity and size of seafood.
- 9About 30 minutes before serving, add clams and mussels.
- 1010 minutes later, add cracked and cleaned live crabs. (See note above regarding live vs cooked crab).
- 115 minutes later, add prawns and oysters.
- 12When crab and prawn shells turn red and the clams open the dish is ready to serve.
- 13Serve with lots of garlic bread made with real crusty sour-dough bread and lots and lots of garlic and butter. Wash everything down with a hearty red wine.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioppino, Calabrese
Serving Size: 1 (1350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.2
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 611.6 mg
- Sodium 5591.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 148.2 g