1 hr 30 mins
A light yet satisfying seafood soup created by fisherman in San Fransisco, CA, with an Italian twist!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 5 cups fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb manila clams, scrubbed
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 lbs halibut fillets (assorted firm-fleshed fish fillets) or 1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets, cut into 2-inch chunks (assorted firm-fleshed fish fillets)
- 1Heat the oil in a very large pot over medium heat. Add the fennel, onion, shallots, and salt and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic and 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add tomatoes with their juices, wine, fish stock and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
- 3Add the clams and mussels to the cooking liquid. Cover and cook until the clams and mussels begin to open, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the shrimp and fish. Simmer gently until the fish and shrimp are just cooked through, and the clams are completely open, stirring gently, about 5 minutes longer (discard any clams and mussels that do not open). Remove bay leaf. Season the soup, to taste, with more salt and red pepper flakes.
- 5Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioppino by Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size: 1 (755 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.7
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 188.7 mg
- Sodium 1892.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 63.2 g