Recipe by dojemi
A very tasty fish stew. This is the original recipe but my husband is allergic to shrimp so I prepare it with scallops or fish with the same delicious results. I also add about 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper for a bit more spiciness.....which is how we like it. I have also served this over angel hair pasta.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 1⁄2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams, drained, and liquid reserved
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano and fennell seeds and saute' till onion is tender (about 8 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine and liquid reserved from clams.
- Increase heat and boil till slightly thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Add clams, shrimp and crabmeat.
- Reduce heat and simmer till shrimp are just opaque in center (about 2 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- A teaspoon of red pepper flakes (which is optional) will add a nice spiciness to the stew.