1/4 Photos of Cioppino
A very tasty fish stew. This is the original recipe but my husband is allergic to shrimp so I prepare it with scallops or fish with the same delicious results. I also add about 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper for a bit more spiciness.....which is how we like it. I have also served this over angel hair pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chopped clams, drained, and liquid reserved
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic, oregano and fennell seeds and saute' till onion is tender (about 8 minutes).
- 3Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine and liquid reserved from clams.
- 4Increase heat and boil till slightly thickened (about 15 minutes).
- 5Add clams, shrimp and crabmeat.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer till shrimp are just opaque in center (about 2 minutes).
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8A teaspoon of red pepper flakes (which is optional) will add a nice spiciness to the stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioppino
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.0
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 192.9 mg
- Sodium 1876.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: