Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is the northeast version, but feel free to add dungeness crab if you can get it. this is great served with crusty french bread to sop up the juices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can flat anchovy, drained
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- 1 handful od chopped basil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cod, cut into chunks
- salt, pepper
- 16 large shrimp, peeled
- 16 sea scallops
- 16 mussels, scrubbed
- in a large pot over medium heat add olive oil, crushed pepper, anchovies, garlic and bay leaf.
- let anchovies melt into oil.
- add celery and onions, cook until softened.
- add wine, reduce for a few minutes.
- add stock, tomatoes, thyme, and parsley, bring to bubbling, lower to simmer season cod with salt and pepper, add to pot, do not stir, simmer for 5 minutes add shrimp, scallops, mussels, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- remove any mussels that haven't opened.
- ladle into bowls, serve.
This made a fabulous dinner. The broth is superb and don't be swayed by the anchovies - they definitely added 'oomph' to the whole dish and are totally necessary. I also provided some freshly-grated Parmesan at the table to sprinkle overtop, something I like with fish soups, and plain bruschetta on the side (just rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil). Thanks.
I was dying to make this, and I'm so glad I did! It was wonderful! I used little clams instead of mussels, because mussels don't like me. There was too much snow on my parsley, so I left that out. Otherwise stuck mostly to the recipe. Had a big loaf of homemade Italian bread with this, and a big salad. Yummy! Thanks, Chia!