1 hr 37 mins
In' Seriously Simple Holidays' by Diane Rossen Worthington
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar favorite marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
- sugar, a pinch
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 steamer clams, well scrubbed
- 16 mussels, well scrubbed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb halibut, cut into 2-inch chunks (or sea bass, flounder, red snapper, cod, monkfish, swordfish)
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cooked dungeness crab, cracked and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1Tomato base-in a 6-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Saute the onions and carrot for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- 3Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 4Add the marinara sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, stock, wine, and sugar.
- 5Cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes, or until the alcohol has evaporated and the sauce has a nice flavor.
- 6Season with salt and pepper; cover to keep hot.
- 7In another large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- 8Saute the clams and mussels for about 2 minutes.
- 9Increase heat to med-high and add wine.
- 10Cover and steam for about 3 minutes, or until the shells open.
- 11Transfer the shellfish and wine broth to the tomato base; discard any clams or mussels that don't open.
- 12Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the same pot over med-high heat.
- 13Sear the fish, scallops, and shrimp, and saute for about 3 minutes or until just opaque.
- 14Add the crab and cook just until heated through.
- 15Transfer all of the seafood to the tomato base and mix to coat evenly.
- 16Cook over med-high heat for about 3 minutes or until the stew simmers.
- 17Do not overcook the fish.
- 18Serve in deep bowls, garnished with the parsley and lemon slices.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioppino
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.2
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 1503.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 40.9 g