Recipe by Pvt Amys Mom
BEST Cioppino Ever!!!! This is my mom's recipe for Cioppino. I dont eat seafood but my husband and family rant and rave about this Cioppino and say it is the best they have ever eaten! She makes the sauce the day ahead and then brings it to a simmer and adds the fish.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dozen live clam (closed, in the shell)
- 1 lb large shrimp (in shell)
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes (Halibut)
- 1 large crab, in pieces (cracked & cleaned)
- 1⁄2 lb small scallop (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions into rings.
- Saute onions and minced garlic in olive oil.
- Add all sauce ingredients (Onions to pepper).
- Simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Add to the simmering sauce in the following order: (Cook a couple of minutes between each addition) Clams (in the shell), Prawns (in the shell), 1 # firm fish, Crab, scallops if desired.
- Simmer until the clams are open and the fish and prawns are done.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread and butter!