1 hr 30 mins
Milk chocolate chunks and toasty almonds stud these orange-scented biscotti for a delectable flavor harmony-- yum! These are one of my favorite biscotti cookies of all time. Excellent for dunking in a cup of hot coffee or espresso, or with a sweet dessert wine such as Asti Spumante. Enjoy! Recipe is taken from a wonderful little book of biscotti recipes by Lou Seibert Pappas, entitled "Biscotti".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest of, finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped milk chocolate (I use Ghiradelli) or 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli)
- 1Place nuts in a shallow pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown (do not overcook). Let cool.
- 2In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and orange zest.
- 4In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture, mixing just until crumbly.
- 5In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff soft peaks form and beat in remaining sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- 6Fold meringue into the crumbly dough, mixing until it clings together.
- 7Cut nuts into halves or thirds and fold in along with chocolate.
- 8Divide dough in half. Form into two logs on a greased and floured baking sheet making them about 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2 inches wide and 16 inches long, sppacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- 9Bake in the middle of a preheated 325 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- 10Transfer from the baking sheet to a rack. Let cool 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice diagonally at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 inch thick.
- 11Place the slices upright on a baking sheet and return to the oven at 300 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes to dry slightly. Let cool on a rack. Store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 4 dozen biscotti.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cioccolato Paradiso (Italian Chocolate Paradise Biscotti)
Serving Size: 1 (1173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.7 mg
- Sodium 66.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of